What is Palm Oil?
Did you know…? From chocolate to detergents, palm oil is widespread due to its unique characteristics as 50% of our everyday products contain palm oil. Although some may be quick to judge it, do we really know the full story?
Benefits of Palm Oil
- Smooth texture
- Natural preservative effect
- Absence of smell
- Yields the highest amount of oil per hectare – far more than alternatives such as rapeseed, sunflower and soy.
About Sustainable Palm Oil | RSPO
Founded in 2004, the not-for-profit organisation RSPO (Round table for Sustainable Palm Oil) has united more than 4,000 stakeholders worldwide, from producers to finished consumer goods on the shelves.
The RSPO initiative aims to improve transparency and sustainability across the whole supply chain. It also intends to not cause deforestation and to support local livelihoods like orang-utans. RSPO members are committed to producing, sourcing and using certified, sustainable palm oil.
Sustainable Palm Oil are split in 3 different types:
- Identity preserved: Sustainable palm oil from a single identifiable certified source is kept separately from ordinary palm oil throughout supply chain
- Segregated (SG): Sustainable palm oil from different certified sources is kept separate from ordinary palm oil throughout the entire supply chain
- Mass Balance (MB): Sustainable palm oil from certified sources is mixed with ordinary palm oil throughout the supply chain
Surfachem | RSPO certified
Surfachem Deutschland, as part of the 2M Group, is a RSPO certified member. We are committed to a shift towards sustainable palm production and use, and are proud to have an extensive portfolio of 100+ RSPO certified ingredients. To see our range of speciality ingredients, click here.